Hardcover. Large vellum document (approximately 27" x 13") dated 8 August 1776 transferring a little more than four acres of land between "the King's Road... and King's Run" in Haddonfield in Newton Township from Thomas Redmond to Thomas Glover for sixty-seven pounds and change. Signed by Redmond, witnesses John Parham and Josiah Kay, and docketed, attested to, and signed by Judge John Hinchman. Very slight foxing, still easily fine with cloth backed paper seal. A few months later in 1777 New Jersey declared its independence at the Indian King Tavern on the King's Road (now King's Highway), which for a short time was owned by Thomas Redmond (also known as Redman) after he bought it from a loyalist who fled to England. Redmond served some of his time of ownership in jail, charged with seditious acts against the new revolutionary government, because as the clerk of the local Quaker meeting, he was required to read the prohibitions against Friends serving in combat. He sold it in the Spring of 1777, and later that year it was there that the Declaration of Independence was formally read into the minutes of the New Jersey Assembly and that the Assembly enacted the law that officially changed New Jersey into a state. John Hinchman was also a prominent Haddonfield resident who in 1774 was named a member of the patriot Committee of Observation to monitor the work of the General American Congress, held across the river in Philadelphia. Haddonfield retains as major streets both a Redman Road and Hinchman Avenue.