(Jamestown, Virginia: 1969-72).
A collection of 59 Kodachrome 35mm transparency slides, all but three with manuscript captions in ink, both identifying the image and giving the month and year when the image was taken. Most of the images were taken from June through December, 1970; including one from 1969 and a few images dating from 1971-72. Housed in a contemporary Barnett & Jaffe slide storage box with metal clasps. Near fine.
The Surry Nuclear Power Station is located on the south bank of the James River across from historic Jamestown. Construction began in June 1968: the plant has two water reactors which went on-line in 1972 and 1973 respectively. Most of the slides show the plant at about the midway point or later of its construction: included are images of men at work on the turbine buildings and reactors; images of various shield tanks and the control room; and images of the plant’s intake and discharge canals. Also included is an image of the nearby 1854 mansion at Chippokes plantation, and an image of buzzards on the roof of an abandoned house.
It is not clear if the images were commissioned by Dominion Virginia Power Company, which owns and operates the plant, or the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, which manufactured the reactors; or if they were taken by a workman at the site as a personal record. All 59 images were taken by an accomplished or professional photographer, both outdoors and inside the plant, giving a rare glimpse into the design and construction of an American nuclear power plant in the early 1970s.