Cleveland, Ohio: [circa 1950s-60s].
Softcover. A collection of 15 paper sample books containing paper specimens manufactured by over ten different paper companies in the United States. All 15 books were distributed by the Cleveland Paper Company, circa 1950s-60s. The collection consists of 10 oblong octavos and 2 standard octavos in printed wrappers measuring approximately 6” x 9”, and 3 tall eyelet-bound octavos with printed card covers measuring 8 ½” x 4”.
Staples have been neatly removed from one sample book in wrappers (Ta-non-ka Bond), else overall very good or better. A wide-ranging assemblage with numerous examples of writing papers (bond, ledger, etc.) and printing papers (for mimeograph and stencil duplicating machines; and for letterpress, half-tone and offset lithography). Included are specimens from paper mills located in the midwest (Ohio and Wisconsin) and Massachusetts. Established in 1860, the Cleveland Paper Company operated the first steam-powered paper mill west of the mountains (built in 1848) and became the leading manufacturer and distributor of American made papers in the mid-west. The paper sample books collected here date from near the end of its 100+ year reign. In 2015 an employee working at a former Cleveland Paper company building started a large fire that destroyed one building and damaged another after he began grilling hotdogs during his lunch break.
A list of all 15 books follows:
Oblong Octavos (about 9” x 6”)
1. *Adirondack Bond and Ledger* (Watermarked). International Paper Company: New York, N.Y. (22 samples).
2. *Discovery Bond* (Solka Content). Aetna Paper Company: Dayton, Ohio. (10 samples).
3. *Economic Ledger*. Crocker-McElwain Company: Holyoke, Massachusetts. (13 samples).
4. *Greylock Linen Ledger*. L. L. Brown Paper Company: Adams, Massachusetts. (18 samples).
5. *Howard Mimeograph* (Watermarked). The Howard Paper Company: Urbana, Ohio. (16 samples).
6. *Howard Writing* (Watermarked). The Howard Paper Company: Urbana, Ohio. (6 samples).
7. *Maxwell Bond* (Watermarked). The Maxwell Paper Company: Franklin, Ohio. (40 samples).
8. *Public Service Bond*. Taylor-Logan Company Papermakers: Holyoke, Massachusetts. (15 samples).
9. *Stonewall Linen Ledger*. Neehah Paper Company: Neehah, Wisconsin. (11 samples).
10. *Ta-non-ka Bond*. Badger Paper Mills: Peshtigo, Wisconsin. (14 samples: the samples are loose due to the removal of staples, but the book appears to be complete).
Octavos (about 6” x 9”)
11. *Certificate Ledger*. Crocker-McElwain Company: Holyoke, Massachusetts. (15 samples).
12. *Line Marque*. Rising Paper Company. (10 samples).
Tall Octavos (8 ½” x 4”)
13. *Wheelwright Ionic Bristol*. Dove Mill Bristols. Distributed by The Central Ohio Paper Company / The Cleveland Paper Company: Cleveland, Ohio. (8 samples).
14. *Wheelwright Highlight Coated Bristol*. Dove Mill Bristols. The Cleveland Paper Company: Cleveland, Ohio. (5 samples).
15. *Wheelwright Ionic Blanks*. The Cleveland Paper Company: Cleveland, Ohio. (6 samples).