Ocean City, New Jersey: [circa 1920].
Unbound. A collection of 10 black and white photographs of the Ocean City Yacht Club Cabaret. Included are seven 2.75" x 4.5", two 4.25" x 6.25", and one 3.25" x 4.25" photographs, slight curling else near fine in a good original paper sleeve with significant tears from Hughes' Central Pharmacy in Ocean City, New Jersey. The images are of women in cabaret costume posing in front of the Ocean City Yacht Club and on the adjacent beaches. A small but interesting assemblage of pre-Depression seaside merriment.
Officially opened in the summer of 1901, the Ocean City Yacht Club was the creation of C. Howard Schemerhorn on a summer night in 1887. Schemerhorn and his compatriots were looking for a place where "they could keep their boats in safety and not be compelled on Low Tide to wade out in the mud to get their boats." This was the basis for what was originally dubbed the "12th Boat Club" and by the turn of the century was solidified as the Ocean City Yacht Club. In 1912 construction of "The Great Dame House" began which was the beginning of the Yacht Club as a summer meeting house full of entertainment and frivolity. In the grand ballroom the Junior members participated in dances and were delighted by the musical stylings of Commodore George Kranich's orchestra, "George Craig and his Merry Music Makers," and enchanted by the Yacht Club's Cabaret girls.